Environmental Management System
The NISSIN FOODS Group promotes obtaining the certification of ISO 14001 international standard on environmental management systems, and develops environmental preservation measures tailored to individual business sites. In addition, the Environmental Promotion Division at NISSIN FOODS HOLDINGS investigates compliance with environmental laws and regulations and the implementation of environmental management at Group manufacturing plants in Japan based on our in-house environmental survey standards (RISEA*), feeds the results from these surveys back to each plant, and monitors subsequent improvements. Furthermore, from FY2021, we also conduct energy-saving diagnoses by external expert agencies to achieve the goals in EARTH FOOD CHALLENGE 2030, our environmental strategy aimed at 2030. (Conducted for 14 plants in Japan in FY2021)
In April 2020, the Group changed the name of the Environmental Committee to the Sustainability Committee, chaired by the CEO, to expand the committee's scope to include themes other than the environment. Five working groups have been set up under the newly-named committee, which includes the Environment working group. To achieve the goals in the environmental strategy EARTH FOOD CHALLENGE 2030, the Group is undertaking various issues. For more information, please see the special page.
- *RISEA（Food Safety Research Institute’s Inspection Standards for Environmental Activities）
Environmental Strategy EARTH FOOD CHALLENGE 2030
Progress toward Medium-Term Environmental Targets for FY2021
|Targets||Results for FY2017||Results for FY2018||Results for FY2019||Results for FY2020||Results for FY2021|
|30% reduction in greenhouse gas (CO2) emission from business operations*1||23.9%||25.3%||26.3%||25.9%||28.5%|
|Maintenance of waste recycling rate of 99.5% or higher||99.6%||99.6%||99.5%||99.6%||99.6%|
|100% ISO 14001 certification rate at Group plants*2||60.0%||69.2%||71.8%||71.8%||71.8%|
|Improvement of environmental manager qualifications (Eco Test pass rate of 100%)*3||20.8%||41.7%||62.5%||79.2%||95.8%|
- *1Reduction target per unit of output at domestic business sites subject to reporting (compared to fiscal 2006)
- *2Certification rate at manufacturing plants in Japan and overseas subject to inspection (at the time of target setting)
- *3Including alternative qualifications, such as Environmental Planner certification
Group Companies with ISO 14001 Certification
|Japan||NISSIN FOOD PRODUCTS (Kanto Plant, Shizuoka Plant, Kansai Plant, Shiga Plant, Shimonoseki Plant), MYOJO FOODS (Head Office, Research Center), NISSIN CISCO (Tokyo Plant, Osaka Plant), NISSIN YORK (Kanto Plant, Kansai Plant), SAPPORO NISSIN, NISSIN PLASTICS (Kanto Plant, Shiga Plant, Kansai Plant), HIGASHINIHON MYOJO (Saitama Plant, Kobe Plant), UNI-STAR, SAITAMA NISSIN FOOD PRODUCTS, SHIKOKU NISSIN FOOD PRODUCTS, NISSIN F.D. FOODS, AJINIHON, KAGAWA NISSIN FOOD PRODUCTS|
|Overseas||NISSIN FOODS (Hong Kong), WINNER FOOD PRODUCTS, ZHUHAI GOLDEN COAST WINNER FOOD PRODUCTS, GUANGDONG SHUNDE NISSIN FOODS, FUJIAN NISSIN FOODS, ZHEJIANG NISSIN FOODS, NISSIN FOODS DO BRASIL, NISSIN FOODS (THAILAND), NISSIN FOODS VIETNAM|
Endorsement of industry associations and initiatives
- ・Signatory to the United Nations Global Compact
- ・Endorsing the TCFD
- ・Participating in the TCFD Consortium
- ・Participating in the Science Based Targets (SBT) Initiative
- ・Participating in the RE100
- ・Participating in the Ministry of the Environment’s network on promoting decarbonizing management
- ・Participating in the Japan Climate Initiative
- ・Participating in the Challenge Zero
- ・Participating in the Clean Ocean Material Alliance as a managing company
- ・Participating in the 10×20×30 Food Loss and Waste Initiative of the Japan project
- ・Participating in the Institute of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), Japan as a supporting member
- ・Participating in the Japan Sustainable Palm Oil Network (JaSPON) as a board member
- ・Participating in the Japan Association for Cellular Agriculture
- ・Council for Public-Private Partnership in Food Technology
- ・Participating in the Food Tech Studio – Bites!
Environmental Awareness Initiatives
The NISSIN FOODS Group aims to have 100% of environmental managers pass qualifications such as the Eco Test or Environmental Planner certification, and recommends those applicable to undertake examinations for such qualifications. In addition, business sites that have obtained ISO 14001 certification provide education for internal auditors and department-specific and level-specific education. On top of this, we are raising the environmental awareness of our employees by holding seminars conducted by external lecturers and creating opportunities to carry out volunteer activities related to environmental preservation.
In addition, we are grasping changes in employee awareness by implementing an employee attitude survey related to environmental considerations and the social contribution of the company.
Activities by Japanese Group companies to raise environmental awareness
- ・Published environmental information regarding inside and outside the company in in-house magazines and on the intranet
- ・Added a preparation course for passing the Eco Test to our list of education courses, and reimbursed half the tuition fees to employees who completed the course.
- ・Held seminars for employees on RSPO certified palm oil in January 2019
- ・Held seminars for employees related to the issue of plastic waste and exhibited related products in December 2019
- ・Carrying out forest maintenance by employees of the WAVE—our research and development center located in Tokyo’s Hachioji City—and their families annually at the nearby green conservation area
- ・A switch from plastic to paper straws was made at the employee cafeteria at the WAVE
- ・At Tokyo Head Office, installed drink vending machine that donates a portion of sales to environmental NGOs
- ・Conducted initiative that recommends employees to switch to renewable energy sources for electricity used at home
- ・Collected used books from employees in exchange for cash and donating the proceeds to environmental NGOs in January 2020
Opportunities to carry out volunteer activities
- Results of employee attitude surveys
Scope: Employees of NISSIN FOOD PRODUCTS (including employees on temporary assignment to NISSIN FOODS HOLDINGS, NISSIN CHILLED FOODS, NISSIN FROZEN FOODS, etc.), MYOJO FOODS, NISSIN CISCO, and NISSIN YORK.
FY2019 FY2020 FY2021 The company conducts businesses that take the environment into consideration. 59% 64% 73% The company is contributing to society via its businesses. 81% 80% 88%
Activities by overseas Group companies to raise environmental awareness
- ・At NISSIN FOODS THAILAND, training sessions and posters within the manufacturing plant are used to encourage employees’ understanding about the company’s environmental policies and goals. Furthermore, education regarding the NISSIN FOODS Group’s environmental strategy EARTH FOOD CHALLENGE 2030 was started in FY2021.
- ・At Nissin Foods Kft. (Nissin Hungary), environmental education is conducted as part of the training for employees when they first join the company. Also, as an initiative to reduce the use of plastic cups in the workplace, water bottles and mugs are distributed to employees, who are encouraged to use them.
- ・At NISSIN FOODS DO BRASIL, notice boards and company newsletters are used to raise employees’ awareness about the company’s environmental policies and environmental issues.
- ・At NISSIN FOODS (HK) MANAGEMENT CO., LTD, unwanted toys were collected from employees and donated to Tai Po District Green Station, an organization that carries out recycling and reuse. Collected toys were distributed to people who want them living in the Tai Po district.
- ・In Hong Kong, there is a tradition of giving money as a sign of appreciation during Chinese New Year to supportive people. The disposal of packets used for this practice is becoming an issue. At NISSIN FOODS CO., LTD. and WINNER FOOD PRODUCTS LIMITED, these packets were collected within the companies for reuse through the environmental NGO Greeners Action.